Saturday, September 14, 2013

The power of giving

I'm thinking this guy could be my muse; isn't he lovely?  I found him on a statue at the Mariner's Museum Park, only a block or two from the house where I grew up; it's part of a much larger monument entitled "Conquering the Wild," which was sculpted in the 30's by Anna Hyatt Huntington, wife of Mariner's Museum founder Archer Milton Huntington. Together the Huntingtons founded fourteen museums and four wildlife preserves, and Anna's magnificent sculptures appear in parks and museums all over the world. 

I like thinking I grew up looking at this.  And how amazing, to be able to give like that; to make such a huge difference in the world.  But even the smallest gifts matter -- as you can see from the video below:


2 comments:

Janet Tarbox said...

I grew up in one of those wonderful places where Anna Hyatt Huntington's sculpture is featured. My father was director of Brookgreen Gardens, between Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island SC, for most of his career.

Diane Walker said...

What an extraordinary childhood; I love that part of the world!