Friday, September 20, 2013

Perhaps not

Years and years and years ago a book called The Celestine Prophecy told me there are no coincidences in life. And though I remember nothing else about that book, that phrase still resonates over the years -- especially on nights like last night.

It was, of course, the night of the full harvest moon. And the sky, usually cloudy this time of year, was graciously and beautifully clear. Was it coincidence that my neighbor invited me to join her and her houseguest for dinner? Perhaps not, though I can't remember the last time she and I went out to dinner. Coincidence that I offered to drive (even though she's the one with the beautiful Mercedes) -- and then discovered she had some issues with vertigo and was grateful for the offer? Perhaps not.

Was it coincidence that the restaurant she chose was called Bella Luna, and that it sits looking out over the water toward the east -- a perfect vantage point for a moonrise? Yes, because she had forgotten it was a full moon night. Was it coincidence that this beautiful boat, the Adventuress, happened to be docked beside the restaurant? Absolutely. It seemed a perfect opportunity, so we sat by the window and watched and waited for the moon. When it climbed above the mountains I ran outside the restaurant and wandered across the street to frame the moon between the masts of the boat: no coincidence there, that was a conscious decision.

But to open the image on my computer and discover the moon perfectly placed within the triangle of mast lines? Astonishing! A whole string of amazing coincidences -- or... perhaps not?

No comments: