Monday, January 7, 2013

Letting it go

I had the delightful privilege on Saturday of attending a one-hour workshop offered by painter Christopher Mathie, and watched, enthralled, as he shared his approach -- not just to painting, but to life -- with a roomful of fellow artists.

The whole experience was inspiring, encouraging, and very freeing: he may have looked 20-something (he's actually 40-something) but he had the wisdom of an 80-something: my notes from the talk included phrases like "You have to be willing to let stuff go" and "it's always the right mark."

But what I also learned was that images like this one -- nice composition, but not necessarily sale-able -- are perfect fodder for paintings.  So now, of course, I'm itching to paint again -- and so glad I didn't throw away all the images I've shot that weren't necessarily show-worthy.

On the other hand, this issue of what to keep and what to discard becomes increasingly challenging with time and shrinking resources: my daughter chastised me just last night for ruthlessly throwing away most of the unidentified travel photos I inherited from my parents (who chose to run a travel agency when they reached retirement age).  Between what we inherited, what we no longer use but can't quite bring ourselves to throw away, and what our children have left behind (living as they do in tiny studio apartments) our home is beginning to feel painfully cluttered with ... stuff.

And, of course, as I write that, I notice again Christopher Mathie's wise words: "You have to be willing to let stuff go."  Those marks on the canvas, that exercise equipment, those clothes, those images that we were holding onto, thinking they might come in handy again someday?  Maybe it's time to let them go.

I'm just sayin...

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Your post today accords with Louise's letting go of at least one item every day, a task she's made the year's effort.

Canadian Terrill Welch (do you know her blog Creative Potager?) often takes photographs to use as inspiration for paintings. She wrote a post the other day about the difference between the images and their use and her paintings.

Louise Gallagher said...

Ah yes... letting go. I'm with you on this one Diane. I'm even photographing my 'letting go' every day for the year.

It's not just about the 'letting go' that's working for me, it's about the process of choosing to set myself free from holding on. And in the process, clear away the clutter. Like you, I have a basement full of castoffs from my daughters. they've both moved out. They both have left behind bags and boxes and shelves and closets full of stuff.

When I ask them, 'what's there', they can't tell me, which to me says -- then it has no value to them. so... I get to let it all go :)

I did a mandala last year titled: Letting go of everything I hold onto Love.

His quote, and that course, sounds fabulous. Hope you write more about it.

Hugs