Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fog as opportunity

I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't love fog -- the quietness of it, the stillness of it, the way streetlights halo at dawn or dusk, the way footsteps echo, the dampness that settles on my cheeks, the clear feeling in my chest when I breathe...

And then, as a photographer, I discovered the extra benefits of a foggy morning: the way the fog obscures all those background distractions, allowing the subject to stand out, giving extra clarity to what is close, and blurring all connections as vision drifts further into the distance.

Why, then, can I not find a way to appreciate my own internal fog, those times when the path ahead is unclear, when the boundaries between what is, what could be, and what could never be become so indistinct?  Shouldn't this be an opportunity to focus; to reflect on what is here, what is now, what is real, what is clear, what is set apart, what is bright, what is true?

No comments: