Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Escape imagery

Sitting as I am, in a house full of boxes (two daughters in the process of moving and a garage that needs to be repaired after some flooding) I find myself dreaming of a less cluttered life.

I keep thinking of my friend Anita, sitting quietly in the cabin on Shaw, working on her book, and I keep looking forward to my upcoming mountain getaway; to time spent in a simple room with only a bed, a window, and a desk...

So it's not surprising that the image that calls to me this morning presents a far simpler lifestyle.  Not idyllic, necessarily -- clearly this barn is in major need of repair.  But certainly free of the "stuff" of life, of papers and taxes and insurance forms and boxes...

Sometimes we really need to re-connect with nature: to breathe the scents of earth and grass and pine, to feel the sun on our faces and the wind in our hair.  But right now it's raining so hard the dog won't even stay outside long enough to poop!  So looking at this picture is going to have to suffice...

No comments: