Friday, January 11, 2013

Artistic license

Rumi has a wonderful poem about what can happen when you break the rules.  It's called "A Piece of Wood" --

I reach for a piece of wood.
It turns into a lute.
I do some meanness.
It turns out helpful.
I say one must not travel 
during the holy month.
Then I start out,
and wonderful things happen.

I'm having fun and breaking all kinds of rules with this image, using Photoshop to fix flaws in the painting and adding elements of my photos to the finished work.  And, yes, you could call it cheating. But you could also call it art :)

I'm not suggesting rules are made to be broken.  But I do think it's important to remain flexible; to understand that the Divine can manifest itself in unexpected ways and places.  And besides -- a little artistic license can be a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Louise Gallagher said...

I like your art!

and btw-- if you ever hold a Photoshop course... please let me know.. I am overwhelmed with its complexities!

Anonymous said...

Rules smules