Thursday, January 10, 2013

Image and metaphor

"I was born with the ability to see in metaphor," writes Mark Nepo in his book, Seven Thousand Ways to Listen, and something in me sits up, takes notice; nods its head -- yes! It explains why, when this image caught my eye last night, some part of me went into gear without my noticing or telling it to, looking for a reason other than color or composition that might explain why this one captured my attention.

What I saw then was a sort of conductor, about to orchestrate some significant changes -- and a warning: Keep Clear!  Whatever it is that's come to you that needs to be done in the new year, do it carefully; stay attuned to the situation, be aware of your inner agendas, your own responsibility; listen for each step, for guidance; move with humility and compassion...

But there could be SO many other ways to interpret this -- which is the beauty of images.  What do you see?

2 comments:

D.M. SOLIS said...

As contemplatives we don't have to go very far to see signs and symbols, metaphors in nature, in the world around us, in our own life stories. It is good to have a place, your blog, as a wonderful example, where someone takes the time to help us see them. What a joy it is to find your work here. Thank you, peace and all good,

Diane

Louise Gallagher said...

I see the conductor you see, but before that, I see 'surrender and fall gently' and steer clear of danger! :)