Sunday, June 22, 2014

Making lemonade

In David Lynch's book, Catching the Big Fish, he quotes a friend's dad as saying, "If you want to get one hour of good painting in, you have to have four hours of uninterrupted time."

Which might explain why, for the last few weeks, painting hasn't been going well at all for me -- too many interruptions.  I'm trying to be sanguine about it, but it's hard not to get discouraged, so I decided to document the stages of what I'm working on, so I can maybe figure out where I'm going wrong.

The blue piece here, for example, was a very promising beginning -- pretty much ruined now because of what I put on top of it -- but it makes a lovely background for the eagle who perched on my roof yesterday morning.  And I can be content with that, I think -- for now, anyway.  Perhaps this means I should consider quitting when I'm ahead and using all those promising beginnings as part of photo montages?  Who knows -- but it's all a fun experiment.  And he really was an incredibly handsome bird; he deserved more than a pale blue sky, I think.

No comments: