Thursday, February 21, 2013

What feeds the soul

When we first moved to the island I spent many mornings down at waterfront park, shooting scenes like this one.  I loved the still water, the reflections, and the simplicity of these old dinghies. 

I was thinking of that this morning, wondering what changed, and why I don't spend time there any more.  And I realized it's because the prime shooting time -- sunrise, when the light is just beginning to come up over the water -- is now my meditation time.  By the time I'm done, the sun has usually risen and the breezes have begun to stir the water, putting an end to those sharp reflections.

Do I miss that time on the water?  Yes, of course.  But from this distance I see that both practices -- the early morning shoots, and centering prayer -- have fed my soul, have brought calm and beauty into my life, have blessed those around me. Plus, I still have all those pictures I took, back in the years before I committed to this practice -- and they still feed my soul.  Photography -- especially shooting from that contemplative space -- is a gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: