Saturday, August 31, 2013

Welcoming the blues

I remember reading, in the book Quiet, about the difference between a Culture of Character (in which how you gracefully and quietly and responsibly conduct your private life is the most important thing) and a Culture of Personality (in which the image you project -- preferably of a sort of can-do confidence -- is the most important thing).

The subtlety of this image makes me think of the Culture of Character: it's not showy, but peaceful; not brash, but quiet. And in the bright oranges and yellows of late summer, the blues that arrive with the morning fog provide a cooling and welcome contrast...

1 comment:

Louise Gallagher said...

How serendipitous. Someone posted on my daughters blog yesterday a recommendation for the book, Quiet. And here you are, mentioning it again.

I think I need to heed the sign.