Thursday, May 2, 2013

Painting over, painting out

This is what painted itself over the ugly disappointment painting from two days ago.  Though it's clearly related to the two previous paintings in this (accidental) series, I don't actually like it all that much.  But it seems to have a lot to say to me.

I'm calling it "When Worlds Collide," and it appears to be about those times when you think you're on a path and you understand who you are and where you're meant to go and then you hit an obstacle.  Not the sort of obstacle you have to work around, but the kind that stops you in your tracks and makes you question all your assumptions.

It's not the first time I've encountered one of those.  But it's clear that I'm not done processing this particular shift.  And it's kind of amazing that the canvas can expose so much.  No wonder there is a whole field of study called Art Therapy!

(Note to self: I need to stick to canvases that are more squarish; something in me starts dividing the canvas into two parts when one side is this much longer than the other.)

1 comment:

Sherri B. said...

I think it's very striking - and I love the color palette! Thank you for sharing your work.