Sunday, December 30, 2012

When the path grows dim

I heard this old familiar hymn playing on the ferry this afternoon, coming back from Seattle; love the humble words of that second verse -- a lovely anthem for those days when the path seems unbearably dim...

"Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; 

through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art;
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away."


from More­cambe, Fred­er­ick C. At­kin­son

4 comments:

altar ego said...

I am one who has grown beyond weary of the dimness. No matter how much light there is within, it doesn't seem to pierce the fog without. I appreciate these words, the image (and LOVE the one from the day before), and the encouragement.

Maureen said...

Wishing you many blessings and joy and much beauty in the coming New Year, Diane.

zenracer said...

Just a note, I believe the lyrics to the hymn are George Croly.

Diane Walker said...

You're right;Atkinson wrote the music (originally for the hymn Abide With Me, which apparently never took off? That's what the website said. I actually thought Abide with me was the more famous version...)

And blessings to you both, Anne and Maureen -- thanks for being such loyal followers!

Happy New Year, all!