Sunday, December 19, 2010

Come into and be a House of Wonder

Growing up in the midwest, reading romantic novels and SEVENTEEN magazine, I thought this was what love looked like.  Now, of course, I see it differently; there are lots of varieties of love, and it comes in many guises, all of which are but a piece of that overwhelming gift of love in which we all share.

Last night I was reminded by two dear friends that I am loved, and this morning, since I seemed to be led to go to church, I got to hear that wonderful news again in several different ways.  From a poem read to us:

"And if it happens that you cannot 
go on or turn back
and you find yourself 
Where you will be at the end,
tell yourself,
in that final flowing of cold through your limbs
that you love what you are."

 -- from "Lines for Winter," by Mark Strand

From the prayers for the day:

"Restore to us, O God, the light of your presence."  We offer prayers for strength and a sense of hope and personal worth during economic hardships.

From the familiar words of my church's liturgy:

"We rebelled against you, and wandered far away.  And yet, as a mother cares for her children, you would not forget us.  Time and again you called us to live in the fullness of your love."

And then, at the end, we were left with a poem, unsourced:

O Christmas saints, come gather here
in my Bethlehem:
let the miracle unfold in me.


Come, Gabriel, interrupting angel,
and tell the innocent Virgin within me
that she shall bear holiness into the world.


Come, dreams, and haunt me with the courage
to marry the blessing I would spurn


Come, tender Joseph, and walk with me
along this road of not knowing.


Come, natal star, build your nest in my darkness
and guide me to seek, and keep seeking.
Mark my life with your promise
that beauty may be found here.


Come, magi, from your wanderings,
and teach me to follow; teach me to behold.


Come heavenly choir, breathing wonder:
Astonish my routine.  Awaken me.
Send me into this village
looking, looking.


Come, shepherds and all who are shabby and shady,
and show me how to recognize glory
swaddled in the mundane.


Come, Holy Child, and be alive in me,
wordlessly, helplessly
drawing out all my love.


O Christmas miracle,
come to the little shed of my life;
enfold me in your strangeness
and make me a house of wonder.

So many different ways to invite love into our lives... and each of us is so loved!
Come -- make us each a house of wonder!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Lovely post. I particularly like the Strand poem.

Louise Gallagher said...

I too love the Strand quote.

And, as I read this post, I felt my heart sigh and soften. I felt love descend/ascend.

I felt LOVE.