Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Allowing the Holy to move through us

"Out of emptiness God has made the world, it exists in the heart of God alone.  To know our place we must again become as nothing, and then what is holy will move through us and illuminate all we do."
--Jewish mystics, quoted in  After the Ecstasy, the Laundry

I find it very challenging, especially during the holiday season, to empty myself in this way: the to-do list gets really long, and begins to take over my meditation time as well as the rest of my days... which is why I need that quiet time more than ever. 

And now that I'm running my daughter's boyfriend to the ferry every morning, it's suddenly gotten much harder to find that time -- especially on days like today, when I've overslept AND I need to head off to Pilates class.  Without the meditation, it's like the day's gotten away from me before I've even begun.  And the blog definitely suffers; doesn't feel illuminated at ALL.

But these are new patterns, and over time I will learn to adjust my schedule to accommodate ferry runs and whatever else emerges.  Mostly, I'm really really thankful he's found a job; fiddling with my schedule to make that work seems a really small price to pay.  So looking at this image -- even though I shot it in San Francisco's Academy of Sciences and honestly can't remember what it is -- makes me feel that kind of relaxed floaty feeling meditation can bring.  And that will have to suffice for now.

No comments: