Sunday, February 1, 2009

Words heavy with shadows

Because I am away from home, I only have my laptop with me, and it only holds a subset of my collection of photos. I was looking for a particular image to share here this morning, but alas it wasn't available on this computer, so clearly I'm meant to address something else.

This one caught my eye as I was browsing through, looking for the other image; I suspect it's that wonderful shadow slicing through the picture that makes it pop. Which makes me think of some John O'Donohue lines I read last night:

"Light cannot see inside things.
That is what the dark is for:
Minding the interior,
Nurturing the draw of growth
Through places where death
In its own way turns into life...

[Pray] that our thoughts may be true light,
Finding their way into words
Which have the weight of shadow
To hold the layers of truth."

We who are lost in the shadows, crying out in the darkness, may be -- if only slightly -- comforted by this: we'll be so much wiser at the end of this journey...

No comments: