Monday, October 7, 2013

When you're weary...

Once upon a time, when I was between husbands and living a stone's throw from an Episcopal student center, I used to attend a nightly evening service.

I loved everything about it: the phos hilaron (O Gracious Light), the Song of Simeon (Lord, you now have set your servant free), the responses ("Hide us under the shadow of your wings")... But my favorite line -- which later became the title of my monthly newspaper column -- was from a prayer: "Protect us... so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this life may rest in your eternal changelessness."

Yes: when our attitude is good, every change is a chance, an opportunity for growth and discovery.  But sometimes it can be challenging to keep that attitude alive. So it's lovely to be reminded that we don't have to do it alone.  Hearing those words again last night, at our local compline service, with the rich men's voices washing over me in the still chapel -- Priceless.

No comments: