Monday, April 15, 2013

When you find yourself in times of trouble...

Whatever you may think of traditional religion, there are times when even the simplest icons and traditions can be greatly reassuring. Reading the selected passages from Romans 8 aloud today before the assembly gathered for my father-in-law's memorial service, I could hear my own conviction resound in the words, "for I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation can separate us from the love of God."

And as we neared the graveside in trepidation, it's odd--I am not Catholic-- how comforting I found this statue and these words. There is nothing easy about losing a loved one, even if he's 91 and lived an amazingly productive life right up to the end. So I'm grateful to the person who put this here. It helped.

No comments: