Thursday, October 7, 2010

Not yet -- but I'm working on it

"When happiness is equally dear to others and myself, 
then what is so special about me 
that I strive after happiness for myself alone?
When fear and suffering are equally abhorrent to others and myself,
then what is so special about me 
that I protect myself but not others?"

Shantideva, from Offerings (Oct. 8)

I keep this book, Offerings, by the candle I light before my daily meditation period, and somehow the page slipped ahead to tomorrow -- but it seemed to me to speak to the heart of the nature of compassion, and so I share it with you.

This image, from the ferry floor, is both a message to those who drive to be sure to make space for pedestrians and, it seems, a reminder to me that this statement from Shantideva -- or at least the concept it articulates -- needs to remain foremost in my mind at all times.  I'm still working on that.

Earlier today, a friend reported a rather mystical meditation experience. But when I asked, "So, does this mean you're now an enlightened being?"  She replied, "Nope.  Not yet!  But I'm working on it..."

Yup.

Me, too.

1 comment:

Louise Gallagher said...

Ah yes, working on enlightened being status with you!

Are we there yet?