Tuesday, October 5, 2010

An ignoble truth

For some reason this image looks like my family to me: at one end we're all connected, but we're also all headed in different directions.

But I suppose that's true of all of life, when you think about it: at some level, we are all connected, all tied to the same source, and at another we're all looking in different directions, headed for different destinies, and bringing different gifts and understandings to the equation; all seeing things from different perspectives, and even through different-colored glasses.

What seems to be tricky is balancing that understanding, holding the awareness of connectedness in tension with the acceptance of our differences.  And think of the number of times we've wanted just to cut the ties to one or the other of the boats closest to us!

My husband has been reading about the Ig Nobel awards, and sent me a link to this curious article this morning, entitled "You Bastard: A Narrative Exploration of the Experience of Indignation within Organizations."  I'm certain he thought it was funny and sort of obscure -- kind of like the time he brought me a book on the perils of perfectionism -- but I found myself wanting to read more, especially when I read the last line of the abstract: "It concludes by considering how the process of being indignant can produce conflicting emotions of joy and guilt for those involved."

What is it about humans, that we delight so in self-righteous indignation, in (can you tell this is a theme of mine?) demonizing those who are different or see things differently?  I know I'm not immune, especially since the books  I've been reading lately have reminded me of some unpleasant work environments I've experienced over the years.  But I understood then, and still believe now, that many of the problems I encountered in offices over the years might have been lessened if people -- including me -- weren't so inclined to focus on their differences, and could just learn to accept, appreciate, and learn from them in the manner described in Philippe Rosinski's wonderful book, Coaching Across Cultures.

Yesterday I discovered the website for the Gates Foundation, and I was delighted to discover that all that money is devoted to the principle that "All Lives Have Equal Value."  It seems a perfect reflection of my own convictions, and a really wonderful root cause to address.  Surely if we could somehow build more awareness of equal value, a lot of the challenges around hunger, health, injustice, war and oppression, whether at the personal, corporate, national or global levels would have a chance of resolution.

Perhaps that's just a dream.  But I'd like to think that a little determined idealism could go a long way...

3 comments:

Maureen said...

That article has been tweeted many times this morning.

I applaud Bill and Melinda Gates. They are not just talk, and where they are putting their money is serving the good of us all.

Louise Gallagher said...

I like what you wrote Diane -- I too have been indignant by other people's actions and words.... and missed the lesson for me :)

Kimberly Mason said...

My daughter lives in a constant state of Righteous Indignation. I think it must be a terribly exhausting way to live! :(

I heard a podcast the other day about "Being Wrong." The interviewee said that when we think someone is wrong about something we can go through up to three stages of belief about WHY we think that person is wrong:

1. That person is just uneducated about the subject, so we educate them. And if they still don't agree with us we may then jump into believing that they are

2. too stupid to understand. But if we know them to be wise in other areas and make good decisions -- except in this one area that we disagree -- then we jump into believing that they are

3. evil, morally bankrupt and corrupt.

It was a big "aha" moment for me.

The podcast was from RadioWest, 8/20/10, Being Wrong. You could find it on iTunes or on the public broadcasting website, if you are interested.