Thursday, September 9, 2010

When life gets overwhelming

As I'm sure I've mentioned here, this has been a rough couple of weeks; we've been touched by several deaths and some fairly serious illnesses.  This morning I learned of another loss, and I am deeply saddened.

My dear friend Gillian, the artist who taught me everything I know about pastels and about the importance of light and dark contrast in composition (see her lovely work here) was married to an extraordinary man, Colin Bull, a renowned arctic explorer and author (see his books here) and a delightful raconteur.

My husband and I have spent many wonderful evenings with the two of them in recent years, eating at each other's houses or going to a local Indian restaurant: our husbands would swap stories about ice climbing, university life, politics and expeditions while their wives compared notes on the challenges of creating and selling art and raising children -- and living with delightful raconteurs!  As I'm sure you are aware, couple friends are rare and precious, and Colin and Gillian were definitely in that category.

Another artist friend dropped me a note this morning to say that Colin passed away suddenly on Tuesday while on a cruise to Alaska with Gillian.  I can only begin to imagine how traumatic this has been for her:  I'm aching for her, and also wishing our summer hadn't gotten so complicated -- we've been meaning to invite them over for dinner for several months now, and somehow we just hadn't gotten around to it.

The phone just rang as I was typing this, and now I've learned that my coaching partner, Renee, who postponed our coaching session last night because she wasn't feeling well, has had a heart attack.  She's okay, and recovering, but still...

Let's just say I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed this morning. I don't have any nice answers for all this sadness; I know I just need to sit with it and hold it in my heart.  I thank God for my children, all of whom are home right now: they've had significant losses this year as well, and so we comfort one another, and remember those who struggle, and those whom we have loved.

4 comments:

Gberger said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss (and your friends' losses, and illness). It is extra-difficult to cope when you don't get to catch your breath between them. I'm glad you know to sit quietly, rest and pray. Prayers going out for you and all those you love. xoxo

Today, I FINALLY got around to passing along the awards. Thank you again!

Maureen said...

So much at one time. I am sorry to learn of all that's happened. Words really aren't adequate at a time like this. I hold you and yours and those you love in prayer. May peace be with you.

Louise Gallagher said...

Hugs and light.

Holding you in love and prayers,

Louise

Joyce Wycoff said...

Diane ... I am so sorry for your loss ... losses. This is such a challenging time of life ... an exercise in learning to let go. I'm not sure I like, but since there is no choice, there must be lessons here.

In the meantime, I received your beautifully delightful goddess book. What a treasure!