Monday, September 20, 2010

Going with the flow

One of my friends' dogs was pacing noisily out in the hallway this morning, her thick nails clattering on the hardwood floor. I've gotten pretty good at sleeping through the noise (she does it at night as well as in the morning), but today she let out a sharp woof, and I thought perhaps she might need to go out.

So I staggered out of bed (it was a little before 7, and I haven't really bothered switching to East Coast Time, so it was early for me) and tried to coax and cajole her down the stairs and out the door, but she was having none of it. 

Since I'd thrown a fleece over my PJ's and put on shoes, I grabbed my camera and went out on the lawn: it was a beautiful morning, and the sun was bowling long streaks of light along the fields and through the trees and hay bales.  I took several photos, none of them particularly spectacular -- digital cameras really don't deal all that well with these extremes of light and dark -- and then I heard the other dogs barking, and turned to find my friend sitting in the rocker on the front porch in her bathrobes with the dogs frolicking at her feet.

Since we were up anyway, we decided to blow off our morning routines of exercise and meditation and just take our laptops to the local coffee shop.  So now I'm sitting at Bennington's South Street Cafe, on a long low gold velvet couch, sipping a double short breve' and listening to a really tacky version of "I woke up, it was a Chelsea Morning, and the first thing that I HEARD..."

But the sun is shining on my coffee cup, the old gold velvet is gleaming, and the coffee is delicious.  Some days you just need to go with the flow and accept what life hands you -- and it's all good!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

"... the sun was bowling long streaks of light...." Pure poetry in the morning.

Louise Gallagher said...

Agree with Maureen -- what poetry in your morning!