Thursday, October 9, 2014

Blurry but real

I know -- terrible photograph, right? I actually resurrected this from my trash this morning, because I decided it was worth remembering the moment, even if the photos didn't work.

We're back into fog season here, and I'd gone out on the front porch to photograph the ducks drifting across the shapes of the houses in the lagoon, and a hummingbird decided to pay me a visit. 

She was methodically sipping through all the blooms on the rosemary, and I kept trying to capture her on film, but I was just carrying my little point and shoot, and all I got was... well... fuzz.

But I think it's really important to remember that the point of the exercise is not necessarily to get a great photograph, but to be more present in the moment.  Yes, I could have just put the camera down and watched her, but it became a kind of game, trying to capture her on film, and I got the impression she was a full participant.

One of the things I'm learning, living with a dying cat, is that the animals in our world really aren't dumb at all.  And they do appreciate any effort we make to break through the communication barriers between us to express our gratitude for what they bring into our lives. There's so much joy to be found when we tap into our underlying unity with them, and with the world around us.  And though the connection may be a little blurry, that doesn't make it any less real.

No comments: