Sunday, October 12, 2014

A craving for color

Yup, October's here.  And with Halloween just around the corner, we're seeing orange and black everywhere we look!

This time of year -- and I can't help but wonder if it has to do with the 20 years I spent in New England -- I just get this... hankering ... for orange.  Not the fruit (though it is my favorite) but the color.  Today I walked by an orange corduroy shirt at Goodwill three times before I just said -- oh, what the heck: you know you want it!

Perhaps it's just me, but I get cravings for color, just like I get cravings for food -- for chips, or a juicy burger, or chocolate; just as I crave light after a long winter and cloudy days after a long summer.

We need dark, and light, color and drama -- and if it doesn't come to us on its own, we humans have a way of creating it.  Just remember: with creation comes responsibility. The trick is to notice where those cravings come from: which ones arise from a healthy desire for balance, and which might be symptoms of a deeper hunger that the things we crave aren't really going to assuage...

No comments: