Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Art is a gift

Generally my practice has been to paint over any of my paintings I'm not particularly fond of.  But this week, for the second time, I've had someone come to me wanting a painting that I'd already given up on and painted over.

So I've decided to take the paintings -- like this one -- that don't necessarily say anything to me and sell them off at half the usual asking price, and then give half the received sale price to our local food bank.

It's a quadruple win: I get back money for materials expended (and enough to buy more), I get to empty out my overflowing studio, the purchasers get cheap art, and the hungry are fed.

In fact, it seems like a perfect solution: I just wish I'd thought of it sooner -- and I'm grateful to my husband for supporting us both, and for reminding me that art is a gift, and meant to be given away.

No comments: