Monday, June 3, 2013

Advice in unexpected places

Today begins the start of a very busy week: on Wednesday I will drop off 27 pieces of art (9 paintings, the rest photos) for the show that opens this weekend. (This is one of the photos, which was used for the invitation postcard announcing that exhibit).

On Friday I will give back-to-back art presentations on the ferry (3:50 to Seattle and the 4:40 back) and then head to the gallery for the open house. On Saturday morning I'll take the other ferry, to Edmonds, to drop off the 3 paintings that were juried into their annual art festival, and then on Sunday evening we'll head in to the artists' reception for that exhibition, which opens the following weekend.

And, of course, the early part of the week will be spent prepping for all that -- and working on a new painting I'm very excited about.  Perhaps too excited, as I woke up ridiculously early this morning thinking about the next phase of it... 

But all of this is stuff I love, so it has the sort of joyful color around it that you see in this image.  Which I suspect is why I was amused, yesterday, to find these words in a romance novel loaned to me by a friend: "I'm in my sixties; it's late to become enlightened.  I hereby vow to be relentlessly happy, ridiculously daring, outrageously open-minded and passionately optimistic." (from Angel's Peak, by Robyn Carr)  Though they're probably a bit more enthusiastic than I'm comfortable with, these don't seem like bad words to live by.  Despite the recent trials and tribulations, they hold a certain allure -- and they seem like a good description of how the Dalai Lama lives his life.  I just wished I'd discovered them -- or begun living by them -- a lot earlier... 

1 comment:

Patricia Turner said...

It is never to late to begin...we are continually giving birth to ourselves and I intend to keep doing that until I die!