Sunday, July 15, 2012

Be more silent


Sit quietly,
and listen for a voice that will say, 
Be more silent.

As that happens,
your soul starts to revive.

Give up talking, and your positions of power.
Give up the excessive money.

Turn toward the teachers and the prophets.
They will help you grow sweet again,
fragrant, and wild, and fresh;
thankful for any small event...

--Rumi

PS: The small event I'm thankful for today is our wedding, which took place 28 years ago today in a canoe on the Connecticut River, not far from where this picture was taken. The blessings from that small event continue to flow, as does my gratitude.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Happy (belated) Anniversary! May you continue to be blessed with many more years together.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Rumi quote. It's one I had not seen, but it speaks deeply to me along with your photograph. Congratulations on your recent anniversary! I love the idea of getting married in a canoe. :)