Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stepping into the fog

It's Ash Wednesday, and this morning I am embarking on a new set of readings: Richard Rohr's Wondrous Encounters: Scripture for Lent

Today's reading says this: "You are the desiring of God.  God desires through you and longs for Life and Love through you and in you.  Allow it, speak it, and you will find your place in the universe of things... Make that deep and hidden desire conscious, deliberate, and wholehearted."

And then he invites us to pray, beginning with this phrase: "God, give me the desire to desire what you want me to desire."  So I took that phrase into my meditation -- and ended up in tears: so much longing, and such a deep-felt yearning to know and be what I was born to know and be...

And so today the poem came first, and came as a prayer.  Because there are days when the road ahead looks like this one: lovely, but very foggy; indistinct.  It's hard to stand at the top of what may prove to be a downhill slope and step out into the unknown.  But if you notice, the immediate way is actually quite clear: just stay open and listen -- it is enough to just take one step at a time: don't rush, or you may lose your way.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

The quote you used for meditation is deeply affecting.

I also wrote a Prayer for Ash Wednesday. It will be up late today.

Peace be with you in this Lenten season.