Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mind the gap...

The phrase "mind the gap" usually refers to the distance between subway platforms and the actual trains their customers are trying to board.  But it does seem to have a certain cautionary relevance if we are exploring ways to build a sense of connection, both with the divine and with the rest of creation.  Because despite our efforts, there is still a gap, and it's all too easy to get caught up in our awareness of the separation and forget the big picture, the quintessential completeness of it all.

... at least, that's what I find myself thinking when I look at this image.  And I'm trying to pay attention to those instantaneous responses -- especially as I continue my explorations into the world of metaphors -- because I believe, as Alice Howell says in my reading this morning in The Dove in the Stone,

"The way to unlock the wisdom/Sophia in this world is to learn to think and live symbolically.  To do that, they say, you have to find the process hidden in everyday manifestations about us in nature and even in ordinary objects, because there can be nothing in this manifest world outside of the universal processes that govern their existence... 

For me, at least, it means matching images with meaning... Everytime we imagine something, we are creating or co-creating, and we can associate that with something godlike."

Not that I consider the work I do in trying to read these images godlike.  It's more that... well, it's just fun; like playing guessing games with Sophia; wondering what she might be trying to tell us.  Is that irreverent?  It's not meant to be; it's just joyful. 

So, hey!  Would you like to play, too?  Let me know what you think might be the imaginal connection in this image.  Because I know from Louise's comment on last night's post (and my own apparent inability to manufacture any kind of reasonable fiction for that post) that there are probably lots of you out there with incredible imaginings of your own to contribute!

I mean -- wouldn't that be fun, to open this up, get some free exchange going around the possibilities?  So tell me: what do YOU think Sophia has to say about this?

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Mind the gap

watch how it narrows
even as your eyes widen

to take in colors outside
the slate blue, black and white

you painted before
the center met the edges

and a slip of yellow
buttercup began to fill the space

where nothing else grew.

Diane Walker said...

Sigh.

So wonderful...

Jane said...

Fill up the gaps, or
peel back the surface?
A path unfolds........

Diane Walker said...

Ooh, peeling -- I TOTALLY didn't see that! Cool!

Cheryl said...

At that sacred space where we become one with ourselves, we meet our inner angel (the white image to the side.) ...

Diane Walker said...

Oh, wow -- I didn't even see the possibility of the angel. You're good!