Friday, May 23, 2014

Framing the changes

Living as we do here in the Northwest, surrounded by evergreens and gray skies, I found myself consistently enchanted, during our recent time in New Mexico, by the bare branches of deciduous trees, their silhouettes so stark and delicate against the rich patterns of the sky.

... And isn't that often true, that differences and change feed our souls? Yet at the same time we humans tend to be instinctively suspicious of differences and fiercely resistant to change. I suspect it has something to do with our need for control.

It helps, I think, if we can somehow frame the changes in a way that makes sense for us; keep them manageable.  Which is the function prayer/meditation/quiet time serves for me: it's an opportunity to reflect, to sift and sort, to allow the voice of silence to sing the connecting threads into a larger web of understanding...

No comments: