Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A message in resistance

When I opened this image, taken a couple of days ago on Bainbridge on a foggy morning, my first thought was, "Well, that's obviously a throwaway."  But the more I looked at it, the more I thought it might actually the best of that particular set of photos, all of this one green boat, taken from several different angles.

But why?  I think it's the tension of it; the sense that the boat is pulling away from its tether.  For some reason it reminds me of a look my father used to get when he was having to say or do something that was uncomfortable for him: that same sense of pulling away, registering as a slight squinting of the eyes...

... which was, I should add, never a face you wanted to see, as it frequently preceded some sort of disciplinary measure.  Which again makes me ask, why this image?  What reluctance in my own life is echoing here? Where is the resistance? What is off-kilter, un-centered?  The older I get, the more I find it fun to ask these questions -- because the answers often mean something new to learn, some new foible to unearth and either heal or discard, some old fear that needs to be honored and reassured.  And you know what?  That's all good juicy stuff, stuff that moves us further down the path.

No comments: