Monday, August 22, 2011

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Yesterday, after writing my post about preferring my new process because it's more like painting, I watched "The Impassioned Eye," a movie about renowned photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, and was startled to hear that in the latter years of his life he set aside his camera and spent his time painting and drawing, because, he said, “Photos are like a stab of the knife… paintings are meditation.

His words were such an echo of what I was trying to say yesterday-- I wonder if he, too, might have enjoyed the painterly options of Photoshop and layering...

On the other hand, his photos are SO AMAZING that I feel it was a terrific loss when he stopped. Here are some of his most famous works:


1 comment:

Louise Gallagher said...

isn't that the beauty of his photos today? - -the beauty never stops.

I find your photoshop layerings these days particularly enticing -- beautiful!