Friday, January 16, 2015

When your journey takes a leap forward

Have you ever loved a book so much that you were driven to correspond with the author?  That's what happened for me with the book shown in this photo, In Trouble and In Wonder, and I wanted to share the story of that with you.

This book was actually written in stages. I was introduced to the first installment of it in the early 2000's, at a retreat in British Columbia with Cynthia Bourgeault.  Lynn Bauman, who translated the Gospel of Thomas and prepared this study guide, allots four pages to each of the logia of the Gospel of Thomas, offering the passage itself, a summary overview, a full page study of its implications, a page of questions and exercises, and a page of related texts found in Christianity and other religions.

My faith and spirit were at a very low ebb at the time I was introduced to this work, but when I encountered Thomas it was re-awakened and inspired: this was the book that led me into the practice I still do today, of reading, studying, meditating, and then combining my responses with my art.

It was a while before the second installment of the study came out, and so I went back to the beginning of the book and started all over again, and by this time I felt such a close connection with its author that I asked Cynthia if she could give me his contact information.  She did, I wrote, and he was very receptive-- I learned that he actually visited my little island from time to time to give workshops -- and over the next few years we became fast friends -- plus I ended up publishing my own book of photographic meditations on the Gospel of Thomas, inspired by Lynn's work.

So this is just to say that if you've wondered about my journey -- well, obviously it started a long time ago.  But the most significant turning point began with this book, and I heartily recommend it.  It's actually out of print at the moment, but you can do as I did and start with the first installment and see how you like it.  I think you'll find the wisdom within to be a total life-changer -- in a good way!

No comments: