Saturday, January 25, 2014

Too much fun

True Confessions: I am ALWAYS intrigued by coincidences.  And last night I was hit with a bunch of them, so I just had to write about it.

My husband and I went to see the movie, Nebraska.  And not only was it about an irascible old man with troll hair named Woody (a good description of my father-in-law, who passed away this past April), but the main town, Hawthorne Nebraska, looked a lot like Sac City, Iowa (where we spent time this past fall selling off the family farm). Plus the movie depiction of the farm where "Woody" grew up bore an uncanny resemblance to the farm where our Woody was raised. 

And then we learned the screenwriter, Bob Nelson, is a Seattleite we used to watch on TV every week when we first moved here -- and that he grew up in a town not far from Woody's farm.

Add to all that the fact that the movie is shot in black and white -- and filled with scenes like this one, which I shot in Iowa last fall -- and you have... well... a humdinger of a coincidence.  So you have to know -- since this movie is up for six academy awards (including not just acting, writing and directing but also cinematography) -- that I'll be watching the Oscars, and rooting for them to win.  Because, beyond all those coincidences, the movie was really kind of amazing.  Marvelously spacious, great acting, sweet plot, beautiful to watch, and a deliciously spare depiction of a part of the country not many of us have a chance to see or understand.  If you enjoy indie pix, this one is definitely worth a visit.

No comments: