Monday, October 21, 2013

Temptations in the fog

We had three fabulously foggy mornings last week, and I spent as much time as I could roaming the island with my camera, though various appointments curtailed my activities somewhat.  Fog is actually fairly rare here, so when it comes to visit I basically drop everything and grab my camera.

Which leads me to think -- partly because I have a daughter who's still wondering what she wants to do with her life -- what ARE the people, activities, opportunities that we are willing to drop everything for? 

Because that's when I realized I was called to photography: when a dear friend asked me -- at a time when I was very depressed after leaving a job I'd loved -- what would make me leap out of bed in the morning?  I realized the answer was -- my camera, and it's still true.  Only now, there's something else, too -- there's a half-finished canvas in my studio that's calling me this morning.  And it looks like we may have another fog, too.  What to do, what to do -- fog first, I think, because it disappears so quickly...

No comments: