Sunday, August 18, 2013

Missing New England light

"The delights of the poet turn out to be light, solitude, the natural world, love, time, creation itself... The transcendent joy is the light now, the  great autumn light at last.  There is nothing like this light anywhere else in the world so far as I know -- the great glory of New England.  I have come back to my solitude, my joy, and I am sure these radiant skies have much to do with it."

"There is really only one possible prayer," she adds later, "Give me to do everything I do in the day with a sense of the sacredness of life.  Give me to be in Your presence, God, even though I know it only as absence."

-- May Sarton, Journal of a Solitude

1 comment:

The Mad-Eyed Monk said...

The light is transforming in this photo. I love May Sarton's Journal of Solitude. I agree that there is nothing like autumnal light in New England and in Ohio! Thank you for posting so generously your knowledge, insights and beautiful, inspiring photographs.