Wednesday, April 3, 2013

In gratitude for prayer

One of the most beautiful and moving moments of my life happened three years ago next month: I officiated at the wedding of two very dear friends who married on our back deck. To be instrumental in joining two people who are that much in love was just an incredible honor.   So when I got a phone call yesterday afternoon from the bride, who's like a little sister to me, I was thrilled to hear her voice.

But the news wasn't good: her husband had been rushed to the hospital with severe blood clots in his heart and legs; they have no idea where they came from. She sounded very calm and rational on the phone, but I'm sure she must be terrified.  I ache for them both -- so I did the first thing I could think of: I activated every prayer chain I know of.  Most of the people I emailed know her, but even those who don't immediately grasped the severity of the situation; all were kind in their offers to help.

Can I just say this?  I am so grateful for the power of prayer.  For all those times when we feel helpless in the grip of circumstances, prayer is such a life-saver.  Somehow, if I think of all those prayers flying out there on behalf of those we love who struggle with life-threatening challenges, it makes it a little easier to bear. Yes, I will do my best to find other ways to help.  Yes, the ministries of presence, of listening, of comforting and feeding are equally important.  But it still feels like prayer plays an essential role.  Even if the people we're praying for find it hard to believe, I believe our prayers and thoughts can make a critical difference.  Which is one of the many reasons I'm grateful to Bishop Steven Charleston for his prayerful presence on Facebook.  I believe that presence, and those shared prayers, make a difference.  As a plaque given to me long ago by my former sister-in-law says, "Sometimes, whatever the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees."  This is definitely one of those times.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Am sad for you and your friends. I will hold them in my prayers, which are many these days. Spring seems so full of bad news instead of rejoicing.

I think there is something comforting about knowing others keep one in their hearts and thoughts. One can help but feel less lonely.