Friday, March 15, 2013

Silver and gold

Though my enthusiasm for the camera has waned significantly over the winter, at the first hint of a sunny day I find myself running for it.  It's not like I haven't seen this before, the sunrise igniting the houses across the lagoon against a dark sky, but each time the beauty of it stops me in my tracks. 

It's possible that the urge to paint, like so many other bursts of creativity in winters past, is merely an attempt to keep engaging with that spirit during the dark season when the light that fuels so much of my photography is gone; that the need to spend time with canvas and brushes will pass with the gray skies and rain.

I hope not -- now that the paintings are starting to find acceptance I hope they will continue to flow.  But it is reassuring to take up the camera again -- and now there's a song twinkling in my head: "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."  Must be that golden light singing to me...

1 comment: