Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Turning toward the light

In our family there's always been a clear division: my husband and older daughter prefer Microsoft/PC-based products, and my younger daughter and I prefer Apple-based products.  So I wasn't prepared -- having engineered an Apple IPad as a Christmas present for myself last year -- to see it completely co-opted by my husband.

But I finally realized that gave me permission to co-opt the Kindle he'd gotten for Christmas a couple of years back, and yesterday I ordered my first Kindle book -- mostly because I couldn't find it in ANY of the bookstores I've looked in for the past 2 weeks, and even Amazon can't promise it in less than two weeks.  And I was growing impatient.  Because it's Anne Lamott's latest, promisingly entitled Help, Thanks, Wow.

So I began reading this morning (warning: it's highly quotable), and I couldn't (knowing I had this picture) resist illustrating this quote for you today:

"Prayer is our sometimes real selves trying to communicate with the Real, with Truth, with the Light.  It is us reaching out to be heard, hoping to be found by a light and warmth in the world, instead of darkness and cold...Light reveals us to ourselves, which is not always so great if you find yourself in a big disgusting mess, possibly of your own creation.  But like sunflowers we turn toward light.  Light warms, and in most cases it draws us to itself.  And in this light, we can see beyond shadow and illusion to something beyond our modest receptors, to what is way beyond us, and deep inside."

1 comment:

Kimberly Mason said...

I have had her book for 3 weeks now and have yet to crack it open. Today's the day. Thanks for the motivation!! ♥