Sunday, January 1, 2012

You are the beloved

"Ever since you asked me to write for you and your friends about the spiritual life, I have been wondering if there might be one word I would most want you to remember when you finished reading all I wish to say. Over the past year, that special word has gradually emerged from the depths of my own heart. It is the word "Beloved," and I am convinced that it has been given to me for the sake of you and your friends...

All I want to say to you is "You are the Beloved," and all I hope is that you can hear these words as spoken to you with all the tenderness and force that love can hold. My only desire is to make these words reverberate in every corner of your being -- "You are the Beloved."

... I am putting this so directly and so simply because, though the experience of being the Beloved has never been completely absent from my life, I never claimed it as my core truth. I kept running around it in large or small circles, always looking for someone or something able to convince me of my Belovedness. It was as if I kept refusing to hear the voice that speaks from the very depth of my being and says: "You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests."

That voice has always been there, but it seems that I was much more eager to listen to other, louder voices,  saying: "Prove that you are worth something; do something relevant, spectacular, or powerful, and then you will earn the love you so desire." Meanwhile, the soft gentle voice that speaks in the silence and solitude of my heart remained unheard, or at least unconvincing.

... Listening to that voice with great inner attentiveness, I hear at my center words that say: "I have called you by name from the very beginning. You are mine and I am yours. You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests. I have molded you in the depths of the earth and knitted you together in your mother's womb. I have carved you in the palms of my hands and hidden you in the shadow of my embrace. I look at you with infinite tenderness and care for you with a care more intimate than that of a mother for her child.

I have counted every hair on your head and guided you at every step. Wherever you go, I go with you, and wherever you rest, I keep watch. I will give you food that will satisfy all your hunger and drink that will quench all your thirst. I will not hide my face from you. You know me as your own as I know you as my own. You belong to me. I am your father, your mother, your brother, your sister, your lover, and your spouse ... yes, even your child...wherever you are I will be. Nothing will ever separate us. We are one."

-- Henri Nouwen, Life of the Beloved

Happy New Year -- and may this be the year you finally come to know your belovedness...

2 comments:

Maureen said...

What a wonderful excerpt, perfect for the first day of the New Year. I'll hold the words deep, perhaps return to this post from time to time to re-read it and let the words "reverberate".

Sending you love and hugs and much gratitude for all your support and friendship.

Mystic Meandering said...

So beautifully profound Diane... And although I know this on some level, I keep forgetting as well... Thank you for this beautiful reminder...
May we be ever aware of the embrace of The Beloved... Christine