Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Serious repercussions

This morning's breakfast was lovely, with the doors open to the porch and the sound of the mourning doves cooing in the backyard. We don't have mourning doves (or is it morning doves?) in the Northwest, so it was delicious to hear them again.

Tomorrow is officially our 25th anniversary, but originally my husband had wanted to marry on the 14th, today, because it was Bastille Day (and we were married in a War Canoe -- can you tell there are some themes here?). So he still thinks of today as a special day, and there was a card by my plate when I came down to breakfast. This is what I found when I opened the card:

"There are repercussions, serious repercussions to marriage. Among those, the reality of an anniversary. And while I completely loved you the day we married, there does not exist a mathematical equation to measure my current adoration of you. So today, from the vantage point of passed time, I proclaim that you are now even more extraordinary, intoxicating, and habit-forming than the day you said yes. And as such, my basic needs remain: food, clothing, shelter, you."

Yes, that was a PRINTED card -- and I gather he bought it some time ago and was saving it for this moment. Isn't that the sweetest thing? And a perfect gift from mathematician...

As we head into the last 24 hours of our 25 years of marriage, I have to say I am feeling incredibly blessed.

4 comments:

Gberger said...

That is a card to keep forever (and frame?)! What a perfectly lovely, passionate, real and open-hearted declaration. You are blessed...and so is Chris! Congratulations & Happy Anniversary. XO

Jan said...

How nice. Happy Anniversary. I collect people with July 14 birthdays, so I'll remember your anniversary now, too. It's the 17th anniversary of my mother's death (in Bellingham, WA).

altar ego said...

Blessings and more blessings to you both. So glad your repercussions suit!

Dianna Woolley said...

I'm with you on this one - yes, the sweetest thing and a perfect gift, etc.!!

WHen we first marry, how can we imagine loving any more than we do that day and how can we possibly know how the time together and years of familiarity and getting to really know one will absolutely explode, expand, and knit us together in a greater love story than can be written down. Happy marriage is a gift and a treasure - congratulations to you both! Enjoy!

P.S. We have morning doves in Walla Walla, and no, I don't know if they're morning or mourning doves but their call is beautiful.