Monday, July 21, 2008

Double your pleasure

When I was in college I was totally captivated by Thoreau's essays on Walden Pond, so I was delighted to find them cited in the Kabat-Zinn book I am reading on mindfulness. I'd heard the phrase "time is but the stream I go fishing in" before, of course, but I didn't get the full impact of it til this morning, when I read its full context:

"Time is but the stream I go fishing in. I drink at it, but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. It's thin current slides away, but eternity remains. I would drink deeper; fish in the sky, whose bottom is pebbly with stars."

And here's a second Thoreau quote, just in case you didn't get the message:

"In eternity there is indeed something true and sublime. But all these times and places and occasions are now and here. God himself culminates in the present moment, and will never be more divine in the lapse of all the ages."

Everything we need is right here in the present moment; all eternity is captured here, if only we stop to notice. And, since you've been given two quotes for the price of one, I also offer two starry bottoms to brighten your day! Enjoy...

No comments: