Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lazy Day

My daughter is home, trying desperately to re-acclimate to Pacific Time after 9 months spent living on the opposite side of the globe.

As she dozes peacefully on the couch, I alternate between sitting in my favorite chair (so the cats will sleep on me and not on her); looking out the window at the geese and herons fishing in the tide flats; wandering into the kitchen to snack; and drifting into my office to check email. We're stuck at home, waiting for the vet to call and say the cat survived her surgery, and watching, first, as low pressure made the low tide even lower, and now, as the heavy rains make an already high tide higher.

It's hard to give myself permission to spend a day this loosely; to let go of my need to DO SOMETHING. So I started a load of laundry, cleaned out some more drawers, packed up some more stuff for the garage sale this weekend. But it's a lazy day, and every time I go to my favorite chair I realize this may be the closest I get to active meditation. I didn't get the alone time I usually get, so there was no lighting of the candle, no ringing of the bowl, no Centering Prayer to speak of.

But there is a peace here: in the typing of my husband's keyboard (he's home today, as well), the soft breathing of my daughter, the pounding of the rain from the clogged gutter, the purring of the cat on my lap. It's good to stop sometimes and just enjoy what is.

1 comment:

Gberger said...

It looks as if you could walk right across the flats to Pt. Madison! What a cozy pair of photos. What a rainstorm! It washed away alot of the new mulch around the plantings that the guys worked on all day. So glad that it's halted; I guess we can stop working on that ark now.