Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wait til the mud settles

This is another of the images from last weekend's retreat; one of those mystical experiences, when you know to click the shutter but have no idea what you captured until later. I call her my leaf goddess; she seems both beckoning and tender, that aspect of spirit that reaches out to me every time I remember to reach out to spirit.

This morning I read in Lao-Tzu:

Do you have the patience to wait
til your mud settles and the water is clear?


and I thought of this image. Because that's what happens, if I am intentional about sitting and being present. It's like walking in the lagoon to look at the sand dollars: as long as I keep walking, it stirs the mud and I can't see them. But if I stop, eventually the mud settles and they lie there at my feet, hundreds of them. It is what my husband would call a two-part algorithm, I think. You have to be still, and you have to be open, to notice, to be aware of what rises to the surface and what lies beneath.

And if that brings tears, let them come, replenish the water, magnify the vision; it's all good. Breathe, let them fall, watch the splash, let them go. Let the coolness of the hidden springs within wash through and nourish your soul, and see the reflection of the goddess within, watching tenderly as you mourn.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

A CorePower yoga instructor started her 6am Monday morning class this week with the same quote about patience that inspired your photograph. I found your blog when I Googled the quote.

When I have my eyes closed during yoga meditation, I see colors, and the colors I saw when she read the Lao-Tzu passage are the same as those in your image. It's beautiful! (It's now my desktop wallpaper.) :)

"Do you have the patience to wait till your mud settles and the water is clear? Can you remain unmoving till the right action arises by itself?"
~Lao-Tzu (from the Tao-te-Ching)

Anonymous said...

i am very new to this "WAY" but very inspired and open to all. i love this blog entre and photo and comment that you have written. feels so good to just read and feel whatever it is i feel within. ur husband!! love the thought of the relationship it seems you both have!

everlasting teaching allows everlasting answers to ever lasting curiosity. thank you!