Tuesday, April 8, 2014

And now for something completely different...

Like many women, I've spent a lifetime trying to ascertain and do what's expected of me, so painting purely out of the "what would _I_ like?" space is both healing and refreshing.  But every once in a while it's also surprising!

It's been a bit of a rough week, and it seems like forever since I've painted anything worth keeping. So I had to laugh when this appeared and took over my canvas this afternoon: it's so completely out of character! I can't decide if it's an attempt to soothe and console myself, a retreat into safety, or a courageous new endeavor. 

Who cares if it's a little retro, or if it's a little over-purple, or if it's a lot more realistic than I usually create? It was great fun to paint, and I find it very soothing. So -- best, I think, to just let it be what it is and not worry if it's a trend. Kind of like life: one day at a time.

No comments: