Saturday, March 16, 2013

An optimistic thought

One of the truly wonderful things about acrylic painting is that you get do-overs.  Paint something you don't like? Paint over it! 

This one began as something totally derivative, and when I took it in on a whim to be sure my instincts were correct, my gallery friend assured me it was NOT me.  "Paint over it," he said, "Paint over it."

And so I did.  And though there are bits, here and there, of what went before, it's really a VERY different painting  -- and much more mine.

I know that there's this saying -- in life, there are no do-overs; that we never get the chance to repeat a single moment in time.  But, watching this painting evolve, I find myself wondering, if we step back and take the larger view, if ALL of life is a do-over -- endless opportunities, in similar situations, to bring more of ourselves to the moment, to bring our own unique stamp to things, to bring more color and beauty and thought and creativity into the world in ever-evolving ways.  Perhaps I should call this one "Optimism"...

1 comment:

Sherri B. said...

Beautiful work! (and beautiful thoughts)