Sunday, August 3, 2008

Soul Food

This image, which is entitled "The Color of Music" began life as a photograph of a portion of the hull of a very large boat. The boat was being sandblasted, and all the layers of paint that had been created over the years were being exposed in the process.

I took several photographs at the time, and have played with them off and on over the years because I love the colors. This one was created for a specific exhibit at the Gallery, and consists of 3 layers of the same image, just shrunk and rotated to create an illusion of depth.

Thanks to a couple of people who have commented on this blog, I've been surfing in the world of art blogs lately, and it's clear that I am drawn to images like this one: abstract, primarily cool; intense colors with a splash of warmth; generally fuzzy with a spark of definition. And it occurs to me that perhaps I need to do more of these; to explore the more intentionally creative aspects of my craft.

One of the lovely things about starting your day with an intentional period of quiet time is that you get to watch these bits of longing bubble up within you. If I give myself time to sit; if I allow the to-do's to gather like dust on the surface and then just blow them away, I get glimpses into the rich colors that lie below the surface; get to follow the color and the joy that draw me into the more creative realms of consciousness. Which always feels like the beckoning of the divine: go deeper! go deeper! Seek the clarity which lies at the center!

But that's also the blessing of visiting art blogs and galleries: wandering about, drinking in the richness of color and design; getting steeped in the creativity and originality that abounds in such places. So thanks to all the struggling gallery owners who are working to stay afloat in these harsh economic times, and thanks to the community of art bloggers who share their thoughts and work and dreams with us: you feed our souls!

2 comments:

C. Robin Janning said...

Diane,

This takes my breath away. I love the color, texture ...the whole thing speaks to me of harmony. This is absolutely beautiful.

Robin

Diane Walker said...

Thank you!