Friday, January 18, 2008

Reverence

For years I have been taking photos of statues and photos of textures, never quite understanding why each appealed, but I try to make it a habit to go where I am led.

Today a chance email from a friend led me to a website I hadn't seen before of artwork by a man named Glenn Mitsui. Seeing his work totally inspired me, and I began combining my texture photos with my statue photos to see where that might lead me.

I should add that I just this morning finished reading a wonderful book called Breakfast with Buddha, a fictional account by Roland Merullo of a publishing executive's surprising cross-country drive to the Dakotas in the company of a Buddhist monk. It left me (and the executive in the book) feeling very centered, aware of the love that bathes us all but at the same time saddened by the hate and the tragedies that lurk around every corner and plaster the front pages of our newspapers.

So over the next few posts I will offer the results of the last few hours of inspiration and let them speak for themselves.

No comments: